IPX1031 Insight Blog

But I Already Paid the Taxes…

California Franchise Tax Withholding


What happens to California Franchise Tax Withholding when the Exchanger files a tax return, and pays tax, on a failed exchange while the Qualified Intermediary is still holding the exchange funds?




  • Exchange begins in November of Year 1 but the exchange fails in Year 2.
  • Taxpayer files Year 1 tax return, reporting the transfer of the relinquished property as a taxable sale during Year 1.
  • Taxpayer pays all of the taxes due with the filing of the Year 1 tax return, on or before April 15, Year 2.
  • Taxpayer notifies Qualified Intermediary on April 16, Year 2 that the exchange terminated on April 15 and requests return of exchange funds.


Unfortunately, the California Franchise Tax Board (“FTB”) takes the position that the Qualified Intermediary must still withhold, notwithstanding that the taxpayer has already filed a tax return reporting the relinquished property as a taxable sale and has already paid the taxes.


The FTB has informed us that Investment Property Exchange Services, Inc. (IPX1031®), as Qualified Intermediary, must withhold as if no tax had been paid, because the FTB’s position is that there is no statutory exemption from the withholding requirement under these circumstances. The only allowable exemptions are those listed on the California FTB Form 593-C. If we do not withhold, we will be subject to severe penalties and fines from the FTB.


The FTB has informed us that the proper procedure under these circumstances is

  • The Qualified Intermediary must submit withholding for Year 1
  • The taxpayer must file an amended Year 1 California tax return, claiming the withholding amount we submitted, and seek a refund from the FTB.

This procedure was outlined to us by the CA FTB. If you or your advisor has any questions, please direct them to CA FTB Withholding Services & Compliance Section (888) 792-4900. If you have a continuing problem that cannot be resolved through the Withholding Services & Compliance Section, please contact the CA FTB Executive & Advocate Services unit at (800) 883-5910.

Locate a 1031 Expert In Your Area

Recent Posts

Can You Change Spousal Ownership in a 1031 Exchange?

Will Adding/Deleting My Spouse Impact My 1031 Exchange?Generally, no changes should be made to the way title to property is held shortly before or after property is sold/purchased via a 1031 Exchange. For example, if title to an apartment building is held by Lisa and...

1031 Update on Capitol Hill – April 2024

1031 Coalition Letter & DC Fly-In​ April 17, 2024 IPX1031, in conjunction with our industry trade organization the Federation of Exchange Accommodators (FEA), worked with the Real Estate Roundtable to circulate an updated 1031 Coalition letter to leaders of...

The Build to Suit Exchange

The build-to-suit exchange, also referred to as a construction or improvement exchange, gives the Exchanger the opportunity to use all or part of the exchange funds for construction, renovations or new improvements to the Replacement Property.

1031 Update on Capitol Hill – March 2024

Biden Releases FY2025 Budget Proposal March 14, 2024 Consistent with its prior budget proposals, the Biden Administration has proposed capping the gain that can be deferred through a like kind exchange at $500,000 per taxpayer ($1,000,000 for a married couple filing...

Pin It on Pinterest